Saturday 27 April 2013

Lightning Never Strikes - Sheridan (1970) Vs Lightnin' Never Strikes Twice - The Move (1970)

"Lighting Never Strikes" was written by Rick Price and Michael Tyler (aka Mike Sheridan). Sheridan was the leader of Mike Sheridan and the Nightriders, one of Birmingham's most well known and top local bands in the early 1960's and a band at the top of the Rock Family Tree of The Move/Electric Light Orchestra as it held both Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne in it's mid-sixties line-up. Rick Price had been in Sight And Sound shortly before joining the Move in 1969.

The Move 1969 with Rick Price
It was on the b-side to the single "Bronotsaurus" released on Regal Zonophone records in March 1970, where Price and Sheridan get there only songwriting credit for the Move. With a slightly altered title of "Lighnin' Never Strikes Twice", the Move's version is the tougher version with a crunching guitar, heavy bass and incendiary drums courtesy of Bev Bevan. The lead vocals are handled by Carl Wayne with backing by Roy Wood although it was released just after Wayne had departed to be replaced by Jeff Lynne. The Move version also contains some tasty electric sitar which takes over for the 45 second outro.

Rick Price & Mike Sheridan
Whilst still a member of the Move, Price teamed up with Mike Sheridan to release an LP called "This Is To Certify That..." on Gemini Records in 1970 (highly recommended!) on which their version of "Lightning Never Strikes" is included. It was also released as a b-side to the killer "Sometimes I Wonder" single although listed as only Sheridan. This version is much faster with breakneck drums (Bevan again?) and TWO guitar solos, the first played through a Leslie speaker and the other played backwards!

I've never been able to pick a favourite out of the two versions, I love them both,  but I guess I'm more fond of the Sheridan & Price single as it is a much scarcer record. The move single had charted at number 7 in the UK and is far easier to find a copy. I've included both songs below, plus the lyrics so you can sing along!!!

Lyrics
Lightning Never Strikes by Sheridan
(Price / Tyler)

Let the wind blow you out of my memory
Let the rain wash you out of my eyes
Too many bad times loving you
So I gotta realise
That I can throw you right out of my mind
And put you right back in your place
Cos lightning never strikes twice in the same place

Well I can live without loving you
Carry on in the same old way
Do anything that I wanna do
Say what I wanna say
And I can throw you right out of my mind
And put you right back in your place
Cos lightning never strikes twice in the same place

Lightning strike
Lightning strike

Your kind of woman just drags me down
Wanna put on a ball and chain
I was king till you took my crown
I got to win it back again
Cos I can throw you right out of my mind
And put you right back in your place
Cos lightnin' never strikes twice in the same place

Lightning strike
Lightning strike

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,

    Below are the most recommended Bitcoin exchangers (Bitcoin for CASH):
    Coinbase: $1 minimum exchange
    CoinMama

    Earn free BITCOINS with the best Bitcoin faucet rotator:
    IACBit.org Faucet Rotator

    ReplyDelete